Build homes for elderly on NHS land, says MP
Surplus NHS land should be used to build dedicated housing for older people, a former care minister says.
Lib Dem MP Paul Burstow - who led a review of residential care for the think tank Demos - said retirement villages and adapted flats were needed as well as traditional care homes.
The review also suggested planning rules could be relaxed and discounted prices offered to encourage investment.
In return, care providers could be asked to contribute to council care.
This could be done by setting quotas for the proportion of the new complexes set aside for state-funded care.
The model mirrors the Section 106 laws currently used to ensure property developers build affordable housing.
About 450,000 people in England live in residential care homes, but the numbers living in adapted housing known as extra care apartments or retirement complexes are much smaller.
To read the full article, please click here.
- Jun 2021 (1)
- Feb 2020 (1)
- Apr 2018 (1)
- Mar 2018 (1)
- Jan 2018 (3)
- Dec 2017 (5)
- Nov 2017 (7)
- Oct 2017 (8)
- Sep 2017 (8)
- Aug 2017 (4)
- Jul 2017 (5)
- Jun 2017 (5)
- May 2017 (3)
- Apr 2017 (3)
- Mar 2017 (4)
- Feb 2017 (2)
- Jan 2017 (1)
- Dec 2016 (5)
- Nov 2016 (8)
- Oct 2016 (7)
- Sep 2016 (2)
- Aug 2016 (6)
- Jul 2016 (6)
- Jun 2016 (1)
- A Career in Care - Jessica's Story
- Routes Blog 2020!
- Liverpool CQC inspection achieves a Good
- A huge THANK YOU to all our fantastic field and branch staff!
- Recruitment Opportunity in Newcastle
- Preston has moved
- Tameside's Christmas Toy Collection
- Certificate of Inspiration
- Tameside receive an OUTSTANDING in Care
Most Popular Posts
- Healthcare Assistants wanted in Blackpool to care for a gentleman and lady with spinal injuries
- Mental Health campaign receives additional funding
- Routes Healthcare need experienced childminders across the North West of England
- Accounts & Payroll Trainee Vacancy Routes Healthcare - Macclesfield
- Social Worker Struck Off
- Routes Healthcare Blackpool is committed to the modern apprenticeship scheme
- Routes Childcare - The local company with the Worldwide experience!
- Cancer 'Smart Bomb' Successfully Tested in US
- Personalisation 'at high risk of failure', Norman Lamb told
There are currently no comments for this post, use the form below to be the first!.