CLIC Sargent launches campaign to help reduce the cost of cancer for families
CLIC Sargent, is the UK's leading cancer charity for children and young people. They have conducted research that shows during active treatment parents spend an additional £600 per month on average as a result of their child’s illness. As costs rise, income often declines, with parents often having to give up work to care for their child in hospital or at home.
Their research found that as a result of their child’s cancer 42% of parents stopped working and 19% took over a year of unpaid leave. Three in five parents (61%) had also accumulated some form of debt, with the main expenses including travel, food and hospital parking. Energy costs were also a significant worry for families. Making this an even more frightening time for families.
CLIC Sargent are calling for the government to:
- Conduct an urgent review of all travel assistance available to parents and young people, and make recommendations for reform by the end of 2017;
- Review the financial support available for young cancer patients and their parents who are struggling to meet the costs of their energy bills;
- Ensure all young cancer patients and their parents who visit hospitals in England should be given free or reduced hospital car parking, in line with the other UK nations. The concessions should be publicised so that people are aware of them.
Sign the CLIC Sargent petition to Prime Minister Theresa May.
- Liverpool CQC inspection achieves a Good
- A huge THANK YOU to all our fantastic field and branch staff!
- Recruitment Opportunity in Newcastle
- Preston has moved
- Tameside's Christmas Toy Collection
- Certificate of Inspiration
- Tameside receive an OUTSTANDING in Care
- Christmas Toy Collection
- Raising Awareness of Dementia
Most Popular Posts
- Healthcare Assistants wanted in Blackpool to care for a gentleman and lady with spinal injuries
- Routes Healthcare need experienced childminders across the North West of England
- Mental Health campaign receives additional funding
- Accounts & Payroll Trainee Vacancy Routes Healthcare - Macclesfield
- Social Worker Struck Off
- Routes Healthcare Blackpool is committed to the modern apprenticeship scheme
- Routes Childcare - The local company with the Worldwide experience!
- Cancer 'Smart Bomb' Successfully Tested in US
- Personalisation 'at high risk of failure', Norman Lamb told