Doctors' leaders call for prescription drug helpline
Doctors' leaders are calling for the urgent introduction of a UK-wide 24-hour helpline for prescription drug dependence.
The British Medical Association (BMA) has said there should be more support for people coming off the drugs.
Benzodiazepines - taken for severe anxiety, insomnia and sometimes pain relief - are a particular concern. Public Health England said it supported local services to help address drug addiction issues.
Dr Andrew Green, the BMA's GP clinical and prescribing policy lead, told the BBC 5 live Investigates programme: "Establishing a national helpline should be a top priority to provide better service to individuals with prescribed drug dependence. There is also the need for specialist services to be consistently available across the country."
He added: "Patients have not had their problems adequately recognised in the past and we need to put that right."
The BMA will publish its recommendations on Monday. It will also call for clear guidance for practitioners on helping people manage to cut down and stop taking prescription medications.
Please visit the BBC News website for more information.
- Jun 2021 (1)
- Feb 2020 (1)
- Apr 2018 (1)
- Mar 2018 (1)
- Jan 2018 (3)
- Dec 2017 (5)
- Nov 2017 (7)
- Oct 2017 (8)
- Sep 2017 (8)
- Aug 2017 (4)
- Jul 2017 (5)
- Jun 2017 (5)
- May 2017 (3)
- Apr 2017 (3)
- Mar 2017 (4)
- Feb 2017 (2)
- Jan 2017 (1)
- Dec 2016 (5)
- Nov 2016 (8)
- Oct 2016 (7)
- Sep 2016 (2)
- Aug 2016 (6)
- Jul 2016 (6)
- Jun 2016 (1)
- A Career in Care - Jessica's Story
- Routes Blog 2020!
- Liverpool CQC inspection achieves a Good
- A huge THANK YOU to all our fantastic field and branch staff!
- Recruitment Opportunity in Newcastle
- Preston has moved
- Tameside's Christmas Toy Collection
- Certificate of Inspiration
- Tameside receive an OUTSTANDING in Care
Most Popular Posts
- Healthcare Assistants wanted in Blackpool to care for a gentleman and lady with spinal injuries
- Mental Health campaign receives additional funding
- Routes Healthcare need experienced childminders across the North West of England
- Accounts & Payroll Trainee Vacancy Routes Healthcare - Macclesfield
- Social Worker Struck Off
- Routes Healthcare Blackpool is committed to the modern apprenticeship scheme
- Routes Childcare - The local company with the Worldwide experience!
- Cancer 'Smart Bomb' Successfully Tested in US
- Personalisation 'at high risk of failure', Norman Lamb told