Statins: Millions more to get drugs in controversial plans
Doctors have been told to offer cholesterol-lowering statins to millions more people in a massive and controversial expansion in prescribing.
Four in 10 adults in England, Wales and Northern Ireland are now eligible for statins, even though many are at low risk of a heart attack or stroke.
The medicines regulator, NICE, says it will save lives.
There has been vocal opposition to the plans, and doctors' leaders said they had no confidence in the decision.
But all sides of the debate say people who are already taking statins should continue to take their medication.
Cardiovascular disease - which includes heart attacks and strokes - is the UK's biggest killer.
It claims 180,000 lives a year and is behind one in three deaths.
Statins reduce the build-up of fatty-plaques that lead to blockages in blood vessels.
To read more, please click here.
- Jun 2021 (1)
- Feb 2020 (1)
- Apr 2018 (1)
- Mar 2018 (1)
- Jan 2018 (3)
- Dec 2017 (5)
- Nov 2017 (7)
- Oct 2017 (8)
- Sep 2017 (8)
- Aug 2017 (4)
- Jul 2017 (5)
- Jun 2017 (5)
- May 2017 (3)
- Apr 2017 (3)
- Mar 2017 (4)
- Feb 2017 (2)
- Jan 2017 (1)
- Dec 2016 (5)
- Nov 2016 (8)
- Oct 2016 (7)
- Sep 2016 (2)
- Aug 2016 (6)
- Jul 2016 (6)
- Jun 2016 (1)
- A Career in Care - Jessica's Story
- Routes Blog 2020!
- Liverpool CQC inspection achieves a Good
- A huge THANK YOU to all our fantastic field and branch staff!
- Recruitment Opportunity in Newcastle
- Preston has moved
- Tameside's Christmas Toy Collection
- Certificate of Inspiration
- Tameside receive an OUTSTANDING in Care
Most Popular Posts
- Healthcare Assistants wanted in Blackpool to care for a gentleman and lady with spinal injuries
- Mental Health campaign receives additional funding
- Routes Healthcare need experienced childminders across the North West of England
- Accounts & Payroll Trainee Vacancy Routes Healthcare - Macclesfield
- Social Worker Struck Off
- Routes Healthcare Blackpool is committed to the modern apprenticeship scheme
- Routes Childcare - The local company with the Worldwide experience!
- Cancer 'Smart Bomb' Successfully Tested in US
- Personalisation 'at high risk of failure', Norman Lamb told
There are currently no comments for this post, use the form below to be the first!.